Wednesday, April 27, 2011

House bummer & my sin.

So, our house buyer just said they want to back out of the offer to purchase. That's a bummer. But, God knows best. It's good to rest in Him who has endless and perfect wisdom, love, compassion, mercy, knowledge, faithfulness, etc. etc....

Also, I heard a lecture by Jerram Barrs today. It is the first in his class on Apologetics and Outreach. It was beautiful. He challenges his class to imitate Christ - specifically in the way He was not very welcomed by the "righteous", but very much by the "sinners". Jesus was called "a friend of sinners." That was His reputation. And, I have a difficult time being friendly with people I don't agree with much. Did Jesus agree with very many people? Did He let that get in the way of asking good questions, showing them much care, and pouring love and patience and grace over many hurting and wretched people ... .. like us? If Jesus had the tolerance, patience, love, mercy, and compassion I have, there would be no Christians - no sacrifice - no life. God, grant me the love for people that will drive me to seek them out. Let me find your glitters of "common" Grace in those most wretched among us, and may I speak highly and think highly of them based upon Your work within them. Whether I find them to be good husbands, or skilled teachers, or artisans in trade, or well-spoken, or men of justice, or whatever, let me credit both them and ultimately You. Teach me humility as I begin to love people enough to search them gently, and challenge them to reach for Life - knowing that I am but a poor blind beggar who has been touched by a healing Spirit. Thanks for your uncommon and fruitful grace upon those whom You've called out, Lord Jesus.

-Mark

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry the offer was taken back, but yes, God has a plan!

I too have struggled a LOT lately with how to be in (friendly) relationship with people whose actions/lifestyle choices I don't agree with. At what point was I supporting their sin (I know I'm not perfect either) and when was I being a loving Christian? Jesus, like you said, chose sinners many times to be in relationship with, so why was I struggling with this too?

At our church service a week or so ago, our pastor told the true story of a woman who was living a sinful life with her boyfriend who's parents were Christians. Throughout their whole relationship, the parents were always loving and welcoming to them. When the couple hit an all-time low, they turned to the parents who then rallied around the couple, with their church, and that night the couple gave themselves to Jesus and turned from their sin. WOW.

If I am not in relationship with "sinners", God will never have the opportunity to use me for good in their lives.

milligans said...

great example.